How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9970
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in North Carolina. My wife and I now separated. We

Customer Question

I live in North Carolina. My wife and I now separated. We still live together. I am out of town for work a lot. When I am out of town she is allowed to live there. When I get back in town, she has to go live with her boyfriend. We have a 9 year old son. Recently, I have started seeing someone. I am wanting to move in with her and have my son move in with me .I would be moving 20 miles away. My wife is Bi polar and has been arrested for assault in front of my son. She has serious anger issues. So, basically my question is. Am I leagally allowed to have my son move in with me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted. Are there any temporary orders re: child custody and visitation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no she watches him when I am out of town. I watch him when I get home
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
OK; thank you for that information. Each parent has equal rights to the child until the court makes specific orders re: custody and visitation. It is best to get these orders (temporary orders while the divorce is pending) as law enforcement will not get involved in child custody disputes unless there is a valid court order (or there is evidence of child abuse/neglect).
Here is information on the process and explanation of terms:
If the other parent agrees, then they can make a written agreement - a stipulation- which the judge will use and incorporate into the order.
Here is the packet for requesting custody:
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney: and
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!