How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in the process of divorce in a different country,

Customer Question

I'm in the process of divorce in a different country, but wanted to get married before the other process ends, is this possible under US law? Is the marriage from another country even valid in the US?
thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
No, you may not get married in the US if you are currently still married to someone, even if that marriage exists in a different country. A foreign marriage is legal in the US and recognized as legally binding, so you would need to wait until your first marriage was concluded before entering into another marriage in the US.