Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

IM FINE, THANKS. I WANTED TO WRITE A LETTER TO THE COURT FOR

Customer Question
A MOTION TO ABATE CHILD...
IM FINE, THANKS. I WANTED TO WRITE A LETTER TO THE COURT FOR A MOTION TO ABATE CHILD SUPPORT. THEY ARE CURRENTLY GARNISHING MY WAGES FOR CURRENT AND ARREARS AND THE CURRENT SHOULD HAVE STOPPED LONG AGO. COULDNT AFFORD AND ATTORNEY AND DIDNT KNOW MY RIGHTS. MY SON HAS NOT LIVED WITH THE CUSTODIAL PARENT SINCE GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL 2 YEARS AGO. MY WAGES WERE STILL BEING GARNISHED FOR CURRENT AND ARREARS. NOW THAT THE ARREARS ARE ALMOST PAID OFF, I WANTED TO STOP THE CHILD SUPPORT ORDER AND HAVE ALL THAT MONEY APPLIED TO THE ARREARS.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2015
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard since the professional you request is unavailable at this timeDo you know if the full amount you are paying currently in child support - is being applied to the arrearage? Many times, the full amount will continue but applied to anything back owed so that it gets paid off quicker. I suggest you can check with the Child Support Enforcement and see if that is how it is being applied.If the money is not being collected by Child Support Enforcement, and the wage garnishment is going directly to the Mother, then I suggest you can file an Affidavit for Termination of Child Support I suggest you can use the Form At This LINK You can fill it out as appropriate and then file it as the instructions provide. As to the arrears, you can ask the court to allow the full amount being paid now to be applied only to the arrears.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law