How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11759
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a voluntary separation and property settlement agreement

Customer Question

I signed a voluntary separation and property settlement agreement in Maryland in June of 2008. I was divorced in 2009. I did not have representation from an attorney during any of the process. Although in the agreement I acknowledged I was advised I could seek counsel.
At the time, we decided that the children should remain in the family house for continuity but since I made less money and could not afford the house he would stay in the family house and we would split the equity. I bought a house in the same school district and we have shared custody.
I was told by my ex-husband that he would be unable to afford the family house if he had to pay child support. So in order to make the divorce easiest on the children I agreed to not seek child support so that they could continue to live in their childhood home.
He remarried shortly after the divorce and has been less than equal in his financial participation. He does pay for some things but completely ignores or stiffs me on payment for other things.
Is it possible to file now for back child support and/or an equal portion of his pension?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The pension is likely a non-issue, I am afraid, but child support may be actionable. What, specifically, was listed as the child support custodial split, and did, at that time, the courts grant any sort of a child support order?

Related Family Law Questions