How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11759
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife in the Bahamas brought our 17yr old son to NY and

Customer Question

My ex wife in the Bahamas brought our 17yr old son to NY and enrolled him in a school for teens at risk without my knowledge . (She has custody) The school contacted me and due to issues with him are discharging him from the school but are insisting on sending him to me in Florida where I live. I can not afford for my older son to come to my home and bring his issues to home where I have younger sibilings . I spoke to my son and he wants to return to the Bahamas. He has legal residency status both here and in Bahamas. I do not want to engage this situation as I belive his mother (my ex) should be held accountable for abondoning him in NY while she lives in the Bahamas. What are my legal options ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
I am not permitted to tell what to do in their specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.
I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure. What are the implications of child abondonment in the state of NY ?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.
When is your son going to be 18?
Was this issue addressed with your son's mother?
What type of legal custody do you have over your son?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He will be 18 in 3months.From what I heard today the school tried to call my son's mother and she hung up on them. She lives in the Bahamas.
I told the school as I did not register him at this school (was not even aware he was at this school) until they called me.Custody is outlined in the Bahamas . She has full and I have visitation rights.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up. Was this a boarding school?What did the school informed you they would do if you do not agree to accept your son to your household?

Related Family Law Questions