How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27052
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in las vegas nv this is my first domestic violence charge

Customer Question

i'm in las vegas nv this is my first domestic violence charge with no other chargers on record. i was given 45 hours of community service a $350 fine and 28 classes to be completed in four months. it has been four months i have completed 1 class and nothing else. i was and am still unable to attend anything required due to my schedule. i have a 18 month old boy and have a baby on the way. we just found out a week ago shes 5 weeks pregnant. i am a full time college student at itt-tech and she works 6 days a week 2 of those days being grave shifts. we take the city bus in order to commute. if i'm not in class i have to watch our son so my girlfriend can go to work. we have no child care and nobody to help. we are getting help from the state but don't qualify for child care because my schooling doesn't count in a co-op household. i have been told by my public defender that i am going to jail. i asked if it was a possibility i can get house arrest so i can continue school and watching my son so we don't loose our place and my girlfriend isn't homeless and pregnant. i received no denial or confirmation on the house arrest.
what can i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Your lawyer may not be able to get the classes waived, though he can try. He can probably get you an extension on the 28 classes based on hardship and then you're going to have to move heaven and earth to find some way to get the classes tended to, even if it means taking a semester off from your classes or taking a reduced course load in order to make time for your court obligation.
House arrest is likely not the solution. Even if you are granted house arrest, you'd still be required to finish the program unless the judge agreed to drop that requirement.

Related Family Law Questions