Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I signed a separation agreement and in the agreement…

Customer Question
My husband and I signed...
My husband and I signed a separation agreement and in the agreement it states that I (wife) is moving out of state and the children would state with father until I found a job and set up housing and he would sent the children to me. He now will not answer phone or texts calls I make and I have no idea with is happening with our children. What is the best step to take now?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/29/2015
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. A separation agreement is a contract, assuming that there was no court order that was issued in conjunction with this separation agreement. If there was no court order, it would not have the force and effect of a court order, which means you would not be able to take it to court contempt of court. That means that you would need to get a family law attorney to sue for enforcement of this order. The fact that it was knowingly entered into between you and your husband means that he probably doesn't have a good defense, but you still need to go through courts to be able to enforce it. It's not something that you can contact the police or the Atty. Gen. in order to assist with the enforcement of it. That being said, you need to contact an attorney in the area where the children are currently residing (as that would be the place that has current jurisdiction over the matter) that deals with family law / child custody cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in the area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in the area, and what you should do next. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?
My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. ▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!