How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31781
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Maryland. Been married 10 years and separated on

Customer Question

I live in Maryland. Been married 10 years and separated on and off a few times. Husband owns house. Don't want anything from house. I just need money to start over. He pays mortgage, Car Insurance, and Health Ins. I make $50,000 +/- year and he makes $250,000. What can I expect in Alimony (Fair Alimony) Want to work out with him but if he proposes something crazy, I will take him to court.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Unfortunately, there is no formula to calculate spousal support (like there is to determine child support), so the judge has to determine whether spousal support is appropriate, and if so what amount is reasonable based on your need and his ability to pay. That said, spousal support is generally awarded for 1/2 the length of the marriage in an amount that allows the receiving spouse to maintain his/her current standard of living. Thus, the judge will look at what the requesting spouse needs to maintain his/her bills/monthly obligations and then determine whether or not the paying spouse can pay that amount.....if so, it is likely that the paying spouse will be ordered to remit the sum of money to the receiving spouse that is necessary to "bridge the gap".