How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok so here's the scoop.I am the father who won custody

Customer Question

ok so here's the scoop.
I am the father who won custody of my kids in 2008. I paid all child support that was owed on time, every time. A custody order was entered and she was supposed to pay me now. I haven't received any support since 05/2013. And all payments prior to that were very sporadic. She is now over $21,000 in arrears. I have been fighting with domestics since day 1. They say their hands are tied because she lives out of state and laws prohibit them from going to Md to pick her up. Ok... makes sense to me. I went so far as to hand write a letter to our Governor. I did get a phone call from someone up in Harrisburg and they said the same thing "They are doing all they can". If this was me, my ass would have been in jail 3 years ago.
I guess my question is... What are my options here..?? Would hiring a lawyer get me any further in the system than where I'm at now..??
thanks in advance
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to file a Motion for an Order to Show Cause for contempt, if you have done that and there is a warrant issued, your next step is to file a child support claim with a copy of your support order in Maryland with Child Support Enforcement if she is in Maryland and they can assist you to collect. Be aware, child support enforcement is slow, so they may take some time to get to your case as they are over worked
Your other option is to take the PA court order to MD with an attorney and the attorney will file it in the MD court to be recognized as a foreign judgment and will ask the MD court to enforce the order and ask them to garnish her wages, seize her assets and suspend her license and passport for the non-payment of support. This is generally the faster option and getting a local MD attorney to represent you would likely be your best bet.