How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an international student from Africa. Last year August,

Customer Question

I am an international student from Africa. Last year August, I met another international female student from Africa in my School but not from the same country last . I like her and I proposed to her and she informed her family in her country about this development which they agreed to. We are ignorant of going to court to legalized the marriage. we just did it within our self and in the present of some African student around. We see and call our self husband and wife. We live in School dorm but during school break we stay with one of our American friend. To cut the story short, we don't have marriage certificate. Last year October we play Diversity visa lottery and we won but because we entered married on the lottery form, the USCIS is asking for our marriage certificate before they can change our statue. please, what can we do
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 2 years ago.
Hello there ---You do not have to be a US citizen or permanent resident to get married to someone in the town or city where you live and go to school. You simply need a picture identification (both of you -- your passports and/or school ID's should be acceptable). You go to the city or town hall where you live and go to the clerk's office. Tell them that you want to get a marriage license and they will issue a marriage license to you for a small fee. You then have a couple of weeks to get married and return the marriage certificate to the town or city hall clerk's office so that the marriage can be recorded. If you do not want a religious ceremony, you can ask at the town hall for a list of public officials called justices of the peace who can marry you in a civil ceremony which will be perfectly legal. So, my suggestion is to get to town or city hall as soon as possible and get a marriage license because as soon as you get the license you can be married in as little as three days and get the proper certificate from the city or town to show to the immigration authorities in order to change your legal status here in the US. -I hope that helps. Please press a positive rating in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Expert:  Legalease replied 2 years ago.
Hello again --
Can I answer any additional questions for you on this matter? If not, can you PLEASE press a positive rating under this ANSWER box so that I will be given credit and paid for helping you with this answer. If you do not press a positive rating I will never be paid anything for assisting you with the question and answer session. Pressing a positive rating will NOT cost you any more money -- it simply triggers this website to give me credit for helping you. THANK YOU VERY MUCH