How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son 28 and I (his mother) live in Kansas city Mo and he

Customer Question

My son 28 and I (his mother) live in Kansas city Mo and he was picked and put in jail just for not paying the full amount of child support (he makes payments every last Thursday of the month by going to clay county court and giving a money order right to the judge- this past Thursday he didn't go he overslept he works from 1:30 pm to 9:30 p m so he forgot to go in the morning at 9 am; the kcmo police and an investigator came at the house and picked him up he is now in jail and the courts want 3000 to get him out I have been a single mom since my son was born; his dad is ignoring my phone calls for help- he has a good job fueling commercial airplanes at KCi airport and just past his 6 mos. probation how can we fight this I know he has rights he doesn'tr want to lost his job but has missed 4 days of work already I keep calling them (cause my son can't) and telling them the truth and they are very nice so far but I don't know how long that will last and if he loses this job then it's back to square one- please help my son abnd I are so distraught
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, when you are picked up on a contempt of court charge, his rights become limited. The only thing you can do for him is get him an attorney to go to court to file for a bond reduction hearing to get him released. He is entitled to reasonable bond, but also he violated the court's order for making payments (even though he overslept, it was his responsibility for forgetting to go).
If this was the first time he did not make payments, the court will be lenient and likely will grant him release, but if it is not his first time you need to get him a local attorney and you are not going to get one on Saturday or Sunday to return your calls, you have to wait until Monday to start calling to get one to file a motion to get him released.

Related Family Law Questions