Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

My 6 year old son was put on ADHD medication purposes.

Customer Question

My 6 year old son was put on ADHD medication for school purposes. In my shared parenting agreement it states "the parties will confer on all major ishowever, if there is no agreement on a major issue, the mother will have the final decision authority." I do not want my son on this medication during the summer. The father will not take the child if i do not provide him the ADHD medication. He called the police and they said since the bottle states take once daily that i have to give it to him. Again, I put my son on this mediciation only for school. What are my options?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank your for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. At this point, at least so far, the father appears to be correct as far as the medication is concerned because since the medication states that it must be taken daily, withholding the medicine while the child is with the other parent could actually be seen as parental neglect. Your best, ***** ***** only option as far as disallowing the medicine is to go back to the doctor and obtain a formal note stating that the medication is ONLY for school periods, and that the child is not prescribed the medication during the summer. If you can qualify the times and point out that even the doctor is not treating this currently as a requirement, neither could the other parent. Sincerely, ***** *****