Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We adopted an Autistic boy who was 19 last year. When we did…

Customer Question
We adopted an Autistic boy...
We adopted an Autistic boy who was 19 last year. When we did Help at Home changed our pay for our help with him basically we went from 70 hrs. of care to 40 hrs. State rule but they did not tell us of the change til we adopted. Can we reverse the adoption for a small fee and Logan can keep our last name?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) If you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize. Thanks in advance for not "shooting the messenger."
There exists no legal means to "reverse" an adoption - this is simply not an option. Once a parent adopts a child, they are their legal parents, and there is no way to reverse or appeal this ruling by the Court.
What the state did may have been unethical. However, that does not void the adoption - the adoption is pretty much finalized. I am very sorry.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.