Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My birth mother divorced my father when I was 3. When I was

Customer Question
5, she had step dad...
My birth mother divorced my father when I was 3. When I was 5, she had step dad adopt me. ( she divorced him about 7 years later) Step dad and biological father have both passed I know biological fathers name and have connected with his other children. I am 45 years old and all of his took place in CA. I understand record is sealed and it takes a court order and compelling reason to open. I have copy of note from moms attorney saying that she would give me a message from my biological father when the time is right. She has since retired. I never received message. I'd like copy of original birth certificate and to see if copy of message is in my record. What are my odds? What is most economical way to do this? I now live in Oregon.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/27/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) If you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize. Thanks in advance for not "shooting the messenger."
If your mom meant that your father left you a personal message, then this personal message would likely not be in your official records. There is no place in official records for a "personal message" - it is just birth certificate information and other data.
If there is some kind of personal message, it would have been left in the care of the mother or someone else, and not in the care of the state. I am very sorry.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely, Counselor at Law