Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I are in the process of getting a divorce which…

Customer Question
My husband and I are...
My husband and I are in the process of getting a divorce which will be final on July 27th. We have a vacation cabin that we are selling and splitting in the settlement. If he uses the cabin before it sells, does he owe me any rent? I don't want to use the cabin myself.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/26/2015
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted. A few minutes please as I look into this.
Thanks for your patience. I reviewed case law and will have an answer shortly- I am typing it now.
So under the Epstein case, the court will award what is called Epstein credits to one spouse if that spouse is using their separate property to pay for a community obligation - so for example, if one spouse assumes the mortgage responsibility, they will be credited under the Epstein analysis.
However, if one party has exclusive use of community property post separation, that party can be charges Watts credits (based on the case). That party will be charged the reasonable value of the use of the property-typically fair rental value.
So if the community is paying the mortgage (if any) of the property, and one party has exclusive use, the party with exclusive use will be charged for that value, and that will be offset during the property division.
Marriage of Sun is a 2012 case that does a great job explaining this. I can't link you because I'm on a subscription research portal, but you can google the 3 cases: Watts, Epstein, and Sun- all California cases.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Here is a link to help locate an attorney:
www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!