How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 40979
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 84 old male and am constant harrasment from my 53 old

Customer Question

i am a 84 old male and am constant harrasment from my 53 old son. he just came living with me a year ago.he is also bipolar and receives disabilit insurance.he wanted me to sign documents giving him money and allow him to stay with me for 2 years so he would not have to pay for school loans.he would harrassme for hours at atime and after this barage in order to get peace i sighed and he notarized i lible for these notarized statements that i signed under coersion.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
You could argue duress and coercion here if the son tries to enforce these statements.Clearly you were being great forced into signing them.Legally they may well not stand up in court based on such coercion and duress.
I would hope the Corp. for Aging can get him out of your house.He sounds dangerous and not a good presence.I do think you have great facts to assert coercion if the matter comes to court.The Corp. for aging folks may make good witnesses as would anyone else that has seen this abusive relationship towards you .I would consider getting statements from them if you can in order to document the situation and the duress that existed when this occurred.
Then you have these if there are issues later on and you need to prove this up.I am sure this is very frustrating and overwhelming to have to deal with.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
You may decide to report this to the police it gives you added protection.Coercion is a crime here in PA.
§ 45.11. Coercion, threats and intimidation.
(a) It is an unlawful discriminatory activity to:
(1) Coerce a person, either orally, in writing, or by other means to deny or limit the benefits provided that person, in connection with the sale or rental of a housing accommodation or commercial property or in connection with a real estate-related transaction because of protected class.
(2) Threaten, intimidate or interfere with persons in their enjoyment of a housing accommodation or commercial property because of the protected class of any person including, but not limited to, visitors or associates of the persons.
(3) Threaten an employe or agent with dismissal or an adverse employment action, or take such adverse employment action, for any effort to assist a person seeking access to the sale or rental of a dwelling or seeking access to any residential real estate-related transaction, because of the protected class of the person seeking access.
(4) Intimidate, threaten, interfere or discriminate against any person because that person is engaging in activities designed to make other persons aware of, or encouraging other persons to exercise, rights granted or protected by this part.
(5) Retaliate, intimidate, threaten, interfere or discriminate against a person because that person has opposed a practice forbidden in the act, or because the individual has made a charge, testified or assisted in an investigation, proceeding or hearing under the act or any act which prohibits practices prohibited by the act.
(b) In addition to following the standard complaint procedure, when an owner or a prospective owner, occupant or prospective occupant or user or prospective user of housing accommodations or commercial property, or the agent, real estate broker or representative of any of them, is intimidated, harassed or threatened by individuals or groups because of the protected class of the owner or prospective owner or occupant or user or prospective occupant or user, from taking peaceful possession of or occupying or using the housing accommodations or commercial property which he has purchased, rented or intended to occupy or use or is prevented from enjoying peaceful possession or use, the Commission may assume jurisdiction, enlist the aid of law enforcement authorities and engage in an educational program within the immediate area in an effort to eliminate prejudice and to further good will.
Thats a tough call but involving law enforcement protects you more..
Thanks again

Related Family Law Questions