Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm estrange from my daughter who is not mentally stable, as…

Customer Question
I'm estrange from my daughter...
I'm estrange from my daughter who is not mentally stable, as far as i'm concerned.
She will not let me see my grandchildren. I have not seen them since December when she, in front of the children, verbal abused me , locked me in the entrance to her home and then hit me in the face. i called the police and that arrested her. I told the DA, that I would not appear in court do to the fact that after this all happened I regretted calling the authorities. she lives with the father of the children and is not married.. I miss them something so much as my other children have told me they are always asking about me..
I live in Peabody Massachusetts.. do I have any rights that would grant me to see them??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/26/2015
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, it is possible in certain situations, for a grandparent to obtain visitation, through the court. In Massachusetts, the law says that grandparents have the right to ask a court for visits if:the parents were married and got divorced;the parents are still married, but are living apart and there is a court order about the separation; orthe parents were never married , they are living apart, and the father has signed an “acknowledgment of paternity” or there is a court judgment saying that he is the father.The court can give the grandparents some visitation if they show at a hearing that:it is in your child's best interest; andthey had an important relationship with your child before the case began; andit will be very harmful to your child’s health, safety, or welfare if your child cannot see them.Even if the grandparent did not have an important relationship with the child before the case began, the court can still grant visitation rights. The court can grant visitation rights if the grandparent can prove that visitation is still necessary to protect the child from “significant harm”. As such, if this applies to your situation, which it may, you can proceed through the court and have it ordered, if the mother is unwilling to cooperate and work with you, to establish a bond with you and the child. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer