How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27178
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a father has shared custody of a 13 year old daughter but

Customer Question

if a father has shared custody of a 13 year old daughter but has moved in with a girlfriend who has a renter in the house thus requireing the daughter to sleep in the communal living room can the mother do anything to cause the situation to be rectified.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. Just to be clear, the Father lives with his girlfriend who has a home which she rents a room to someone? Thus, when the child is with the father, she has to sleep on the couch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. There are certainly some issues present, that could allow the mother to take the father back to court and modify the custody agreement and impose restrictions. For off, there is a stranger renting a room in the home. This is not a situation where it is just the father and girlfriend and maybe some of her children but a tenant in the home. Second, it is forcing the child to sleep on the couch. If there is shared custody and she is there half the time, he should make arrangements for her to have her own room. Finally, the home is not that of the fathers and he is simply living with his girlfriend. If he was paying renting and shared expenses with her, it may be different but he moved into her home and lives there with a tenant and the child has to sleep on the couch. As such, the mother can ask the court to require the child to have her own room, especially when there is a 3rd party in the home, unrelated and at 13 years old, there should be some privacy for her. The Judge could order she have her own room or address the issue with her living with a tenant in a home and sleeping on the couch, when the mother can provide her own room for her.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions