Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

In Illinois, if you are divorced and get re-married and file

Customer Question

In Illinois, if you are divorced and get re-married and file joint tax returns with your new spouse, are both your incomes considered by the courts as a basis for paying maintenance to the x-spouse.?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
No, it isn't. Your new spouse has no legal obligation to support your former spouse. There can be an exception when a person remarries and then ceases working to avoid paying support. But ordinarily, remarriage is not a basis for increasing alimony.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.