How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9339
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my adult child, 26, collect backpay of SSI benefits if

Customer Question

Can my adult child, 26, collect backpay of SSI benefits if her father dies, but was just approved for benefits before death?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
The answer is no, not directly.
Past due benefits owed to her father become an asset of his Estate, and would normally be distributed by order of the probate court, either under his Will or under the intestacy laws if he did not leave a Will.
If you tell in which State he was domiciled, I can find the intestacy laws for that State if you wish.
I hope this information is helpful.

Related Family Law Questions