How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got divorced 3 years ago, married and divorced in California.

Customer Question

I got divorced 3 years ago, married and divorced in California. I settled in the divorce to get his abusive self out of the way. In this settlement, I made the mistake in taking all of the debt acquired (while we were together) and he got away with it debt free. I also received multiple levies from cars that he bought and sold and did not file the paperwork correctly after the divorce went file. ( yes I was a co-signer.)
I am only asking because I am still in debt from our marriage and am wondering if there is any way that I can legally get some money back from 50% of his responsibilities.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The answer is probably 'no' because once you agreed to the settlement, even if that settlement is unfair, the courts will uphold it because they do not like to relitigate matters that are deemed settled if no new information exists. Notice, however, I mentioned new information. If you can show that the ex, for example, did not disclose all debts and you are still being blind-sided by past creditors and so forth, you would have a potential basis to re-open the decree and request a review It is not likely that the judge will order him to pay for debts you knowingly took upon yourself, but if new debts existed which just recently came to light, you can request that those be split as you can argue that if you knew, you wouldn't have signed the decree as it was written back when you were seeking dissolution of marriage. This type of fraud and misrepresentation is your best bet in seeking a review under the circumstances.
Dimitry, Esq.