How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26753
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My children has found marijuana at their father's house on several occassions. What

Customer Question

My children has found marijuana at their father's house on several occassions. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
While you don't have a legal right to suspend visitation, if you involved CPS, they could require the proof you want in order for him to exercise his custody and visitation rights. So it comes down to whether you want to/need to formalize what you've just decided by involving CPS.
Is he agreeable to your plan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This happened before a few months ago and he didn't see the kids for 4-5 weeks but refused the drug test. Now it's happe again.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
The power to do something is in your hands. If you are concerned about this, as well you should be, you can go to court and file a petition to modify your custody agreement based on this, or you can alert CPS to your belief that your husband has marijuana in the home and have them investigate. Then they can require that he be tested in order to exercise their rights.
It's always best if a couple, even an estranged couple, can work out their differences without the court. You can make it clear to your ex that you are prepared to take this to the next step if he doesn't do what you're asking of him. If he doesn't comply, then you have to look out for your children.

Related Family Law Questions