How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102142
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am curious about Idaho Child Support law. Is it "Normal"

Customer Question

Hello! I am curious about Idaho Child Support law. Is it "Normal" or "Usual" to continue to have to pay child support for children after they turn 18? In divorce decree it states "child support shall be paid in full amount until LAST child is emancipated... is this for real?? Please help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) f you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
In Idaho, child support normally ends at age 18, unless the child is still in high school. IF the child is still in high school, child support continues until high school graduation or age 19 - whichever is first. Idaho Code §32-706.
However, the divorce decree may go off script and if the parties agree, it may order child support PAST the normal age of would-be termination.
Now, if it says "child support shall be paid in full amount..." it likely means each child. So while child support continues, it is to be modified downward with every child aging out of child support. It would be unusual to continue to pay that same amount as the children age out of child support one by one.
The decree is awkwardly made, however. So, what a party wants to do here is to file a motion for clarification, and ASK the Judge what the decree states, so that the Judge would clarify.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Related Family Law Questions