Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Live in Las Vegas Nevada and have been together

Customer Question
for 16years is there common...
Live in Las Vegas Nevada and have been together for 16years is there common law here do I have any right s ???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/23/2015
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thank you for your question. Nevada does not recognize common law marriage unfortunately (few states do). While you have right to jointly held assets -- for example, you are both equally entitled to the funds in a jointly held checking account --there is no other right to compensation or division of property as therewould be in a divorce following a marriage. If I may be of further assistance, please use the REPLY feature and I'll be happy to assist. Thank you.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer