How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2512
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In my original divorce papers 12 years ago I agreed to pay $4000 as a final payout

Customer Question

In my original divorce papers 12 years ago I agreed to pay $4000 as a final payout for divorce. I have proof of payment for $2000 but cannot find the proof of final payment. My ex now works for a family law lawyer and wants me to pay the original $2000 plus $3500 in interest. What do I owe her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 2 years ago.
Interest is compounded annually in California at a rate of 10% per annum. If you had failed to pay $2,000 for exactly twelve years, the interest would be $4,276.86. I'm not sure where the $3,500 comes from. If you cannot convince the Court that you paid the amount owed, the Court can determine that you owe the $2,000 plus interest. Do you know how you made the payment? Did you write a check? Give it to her in cash? Do a bank to bank transfer? Unless you paid in cash, there should be a paper trail somewhere.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any further questions? If you have no more questions, I would appreciate if you would accept my answer so that I can get credit for my work.