How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118798
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A judgment was awarded against me on 01/11/2002 bad

Customer Question

A judgment was awarded against me on 01/11/2002 for a bad check. The attorney in Kansas has filed and received a revive judgment in 2010, and again in June 2015. I no longer live in Kansas (Since June of 2002), I have since married and have another name, every 3 months or so I get a letter from Kent Hollins (KS Attorney) insisting that I pay this ever mounting debt with 12% interest building. These checks were to Phillips 66, and were drawn on a joint account with my name as a primary. How long can this attorney pursue this? Is there not a statute of limitations on civil judgments?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A Judgment issued by the District Courts in the State of Kansas generally is enforceable for a period of five years. If it is not renewed, or executed within the 5-years period, it will become dormant or cease to operate as a lien on the real property of the judgment debtor. See: K.S.A. 60-2403. So, if the creditor has kept renewing the judgment every 5 years, the judgment can remain active forever.
You need to find out by checking the court records to determine if they did indeed file renewals of judgment within 5 years. If they have never filed renewals of judgments, then you can seek to get this debt terminated as being an invalid judgment.
If they have renewed the judgment, they can keep pursuing you for collection and what you need to do is you need to negotiate some type of settlement on the debt to get it over.