How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27622
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok im a 17 year old and my dad is giving my mom child support

Customer Question

ok im a 17 year old and my dad is giving my mom child support right now. I never see it but my concern is when im 18 can I have that money
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand your concern. In Illinois, the obligation of your father to pay support, will terminate at the age of 18, unless you are still in high school and absent any other court order, which requires him to continue to pay. Now, what you should be aware of is that while the support is for you, it is at the discretion of your mother to decide how it has been spent over the years. If she use each check, then there would be nothing left for her to essentially give you and there is no law which requires her to deposit it in the bank. She can use it how she saw fit. However, if she did save some of it, then it would be at her discretion to give you access to the money and let you use it how you want. I think you are smart thinking about financial issues in the future but she would have to actually give this money to you, if any was saved, for that to happen. There is no right for you to just get it.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!