Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I witnessed a man severely abuse his 14 year old daughter

Customer Question
and reported him to CPS...
I witnessed a man severely abuse his 14 year old daughter and reported him to CPS. The family has been threatening to use my mental health against me if I don't recant. I have a history of severe depression and have been hospitalized. I am doing well now.
Can they use my mental health against me in any way? The daughter told CPS that her father was innocent. She is obviously lying and/or is under pressure from her family. I have the threatening E-mails. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/20/2015
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Can they use my mental health against me in any way?

Response 1: They may try to say that you do not know what you are talking about because of your mental health issues. However, you should not be intimidated. You should go straight to your District Attorney's Office and file complaint against the family. You should also contact CPS and let them know that you are being threatened because of your report.
The daughter told CPS that her father was innocent. She is obviously lying and/or is under pressure from her family. I have the threatening E-mails. What should I do?
Response 2: Go to the District Attorney (“DA”) and CPS and file complaint. You can also go to the Police. Make several copies of the e-mails so that you can provide them to the DA, CPS, and the Police.
It was actually a friend of theirs that sent me the threatening E-mails. Apparently she is speaking for the family. Should I still make the complaint to the DAs office and the police?
Yes
If I don't report it right away is that a problem? And which city do I go to to report it. I ask for 2 reasons:
1-the mother in law came to my door and threatened me. She lives upstairs from me. I called the S. Euclid police where we live. They made a report.
2-The lady that sent me the threatening E-mails lives in the adjacent city. So is it better to have all files at one police station, or do I go to the DA at the other city from where the lady lives who sent the threatening E-mails? I want to do this right. Please advise.
You need to file where you live, where the threats took place.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law