How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37682
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is not a repost of a previous question, it just

Customer Question

This is not a repost of a previous question, it just relates.. So if I withdraw my custody petition: 1. Can I refile for custody at a later date? 2. What will happen to any orders of court currently directing visitation - a lot of them read interim? I
need to withdraw do to finances, but I would like to protect my right to refile at a later date... Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Just because you may withdraw a custody petition does not mean that interim orders will not remain in place. That is an additional issue that must be dealt with in court before you dismiss if you wish to dismiss. Interim orders such as temporary visitation orders are terminated if you dismiss your motion. However, temporary child support orders typically remain in place as there is a legal obligation to pay support.
Dismissal of your petition at this time is not with prejudice and so long as your child is still a minor, you may refile a custody petition at a later time.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I understand what you are saying.. I am attempting strategy to take care of things:1. Financially I cannot continue for a couple months.
2. A tampered series of lawyers mucked up the case, and so I am trying to get a cleaner slate.Can you tell me if what I am proposing "may" go towards my aims? I could use a new judge, there seems to be some sort of problem with the system in Allegheny County (aside from negligence).. The judge has not provided my children and I with a trial in 2 years. She would appear to have been manipulated by my ex's dirty tricks..
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
What is it you are proposing? What is your goal?
This seems like a very serious situation for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Thanks in advance,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wish I could afford the $32, but I cannot.. I understand if this goes beyond a typical follow-up... My basics of it are: I can't afford it right now, and the court has been slanted against me due to dirty tricks from the other side. I am trying for as close to a clean slate as possible, would even like a new judge...
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
No problem, I understand.
You can dismiss and hope that a new filing will get you a new judge---but that doesn't always happen.
Please remember to rate my service to you.
I wish you the best,

Related Family Law Questions