Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son is 40 yrs old, doesn't have a job or drivers license,

Customer Question
and owes for back child...
My son is 40 yrs old, doesn't have a job or drivers license, and owes for back child support in another state. He's tried to get job but can't get hired. What can he do to relinquish his parental rights? Or do, period.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/19/2015
Family Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
My apologies to your son on his situation. As far as relinquishing rights, that does not terminate the obligation to pay support. If the point is to waive support payments, a rights relinquishment won't help as far as arrears. The only one who can file is the other parent if the child(ren) are with with her as she can file to sever rights, but it would also require a new person to step forth and seek an adoption. Otherwise your son still retains responsibility for the payments and the obligations under child support.
I am sorry!
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney