Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son bought a go cart grandson. He would like to bring…

Customer Question
My son bought a go...
My son bought a go cart for my grandson. He would like to bring it to my house for him to use this weekend. Could I be held responsible by my grandsons mother if he gets hurt
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/19/2015
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you did something that could be viewed as negligent, careless, reckless, etc, in regard to the go-cart, there could be a chance the mother may try and sue you for damages suffered. However, if the father bought the go-cart and is bringing it to your home for him to use and he has the property safety equipment ( i.e. helmet, ect) then it would be hard to hold you responsible for an accident. You need to use due care and make sure he is driving it properly and things of that nature but if you have any doubts or concern, knowing the mother, it may be best to just advise you rather him not bring it over this weekend.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Thete is always a doubt I knew that already so what do I need to do to cover myself legally that is what I needed to know
If you want to allow it, just use due care. The mother is not going to sign anything and unless you do something or allow something to happen that would be negligent, careless or reckless, there should not be an issue. If the child is driving and loses control and get hurts, it would not be your fault. However, if you told him that it would be alright to drive in a lane of traffic with the go cart and something happened, that would be a different story.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!