How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I reported my daughter to BucksCounty children and youth for

Customer Question

I reported my daughter to BucksCounty children and youth for neglecting her children. To retaliate she filed for a PFA on me and actually got it. I didn't have an attorney, court gave me one. When it was over the attorney told me to get an attorney and file an appeal, he never heard a judge so bad...I've been left living in my car for the last 6 weeks. What I didn't know was an appeal has to be filed in 30 days. Do I have ANY recourse since more than 30 days have past?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will do my best to assist you with your concerns.
I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are in this situation. I also may have to give you unwelcome news here so please do not blame the messenger. If I may ask, within the past 6 weeks during this time, were you at the hospital or any other location where you were unable to file or were otherwise indisposed? Please advise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The police removed me from our home penniless w a suitcase. I had no where to go. Friends put me in a hotel for 7 days until the hearing. I went fully prepared, pictures and all. The court gave me a pro bono attorney who clearly was out of his element. The judge was clearly biased and gave Brianna the order. The attorney immediately told me the judge was clearly unfair sand that I had immediate grounds for appeal. He never told me I only had 30 days. Since that court date I have lived in my car. I contacted legal aid....they don't handle appeals, I contacted the public defenders office...they don't handle appeals. They referred me to another lawyer referral service who work on a flat fee/ sliding scale. Spoke to that organization....waited 10 days....they couldn't find an attorney for the appeal......No one would help me......and not ONE said anything about 30 days. This is affecting an entire family. I have 2other daughters, 5 grandchildren involved, my siblings...,,2 of whom have cancer, nieces and nephews.....this ORDER based on LIES AND DECEPTIONS is destroying a family. I miss my grandchildren... I RAISED them...,,,
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow-up.
Please permit me to be honest, even if the information is not as you hoped. You can still try to file for an appeal anyway, and hope that the courts choose to overlook the missed deadline. But I must be realistic and state that the chance of that being accepted is slim, especially if you file on your own. One potential avenue you haven't tried yet is to contact local area law schools such a Temple, Penn, Villanova, and Widener who may be able to help by offering free legal clinic services or even see if they may have pro bono services available that you can use. Having some attorney file and argue is better for you although you could possibly file on your own. But without reviewing the language I cannot tell you what specific grounds may exist, and that is where the law schools may be able to assist.
Dimitry, Esq.