Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Why can a retired justice of peace preform marriage?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/18/2015
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
They can perform marriages in some states because they are still recognized as sworn officers of the court even though they are not actively working in the court room. Since they are officers of the court, they are legally recognized as being authorized to be officiants and perform legal wedding ceremonies.
.
However, it depends on the state as some states allow retired judges to be officiants of marriages and some don't.
.
.
thanks
Barrister, Lawyer