How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37382
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Why can a retired justice of peace preform marriage?

Customer Question

Why can a retired justice of peace preform marriage?
Submitted: 2 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
They can perform marriages in some states because they are still recognized as sworn officers of the court even though they are not actively working in the court room. Since they are officers of the court, they are legally recognized as being authorized to be officiants and perform legal wedding ceremonies.
However, it depends on the state as some states allow retired judges to be officiants of marriages and some don't.