Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

A woman I slept with is pregnant, and the timing is right.

Customer Question
She plans to give it...
A woman I slept with is pregnant, and the timing is right. She plans to give it up for adoption. If I am the father I want to keep the child. She says it's not mine. How do I fight this. If it's not mine, I know I have no rights, but if I am do I have a choice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/18/2015
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If you wanted to fight her decision, you would need to immediately file a paternity suit against her once the child is born. The judge would then order a DNA test to either confirm or disprove paternity. If you are the biological father, as confirmed by a DNA test, then you would have rights to the child and could prevent her from giving the child up for adoption.
.
So it would be a very good idea to talk to a local family law attorney so you could have the paternity case ready to file as soon as the child is born.
.
.
thanks
Barrister, Lawyer