How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37047
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A woman I slept with is pregnant, and the timing is right.

Customer Question

A woman I slept with is pregnant, and the timing is right. She plans to give it up for adoption. If I am the father I want to keep the child. She says it's not mine. How do I fight this. If it's not mine, I know I have no rights, but if I am do I have a choice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
If you wanted to fight her decision, you would need to immediately file a paternity suit against her once the child is born. The judge would then order a DNA test to either confirm or disprove paternity. If you are the biological father, as confirmed by a DNA test, then you would have rights to the child and could prevent her from giving the child up for adoption.
So it would be a very good idea to talk to a local family law attorney so you could have the paternity case ready to file as soon as the child is born.