Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I have a child support order that my ex wife would like to

Customer Question

I have a child support order that my ex wife would like to terminate. We have agreed to a one-time settlement that will be paid to her. How do we go about getting this support terminated?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What you need to do is draft a "joint child support settlement agreement," where you recite the facts and stipulations you are agreeing upon, such as stopping monthly support in exchange for a lump sum payment. You state the amount of the payment. You also state she agrees the lump sum payment is sufficient to compensate her for the remaining years of child support. Also, you state that the parties agree to be bound by this agreement into the future and it cannot be rescinded and that it was entered voluntarily after both parties had the opportunity to investigate and make a proper determination as to the child's future needs.
Both of you sign the agreement in front of a notary and once signed it is filed with the clerk of court to be entered as an order. The document is written on a blank motion form, the one with the court heading and case name and case number ***** it.
This is how you go about agreeing to terminate the monthly payments.