Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in illinois. My husband bought his 18 year old daughter…

Customer Question
I live in illinois. My...
I live in illinois. My husband bought his 18 year old daughter from a previous marriage a car. The car is titled in her name only. The insurance is in his name as well as hers. If she gets in an accident and is sued, what is our liability? Can my bank accounts which are in my name only be taken as part of a judgement?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/17/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
If she gets in an accident and is sued, what is our liability?
None. She is 18, and adult, and the vehicle is owned in her name only. There is no vicarious liability for parents since she is an adult. Parental liability under 740 I.L.C.S. § 115/3 ends when the child becomes an adult.
There is no vicarious liability for the fact that he purchased the vehicle for her. There may have been had he kept his name on the title, but because he did not, the doctrine of negligent entrustment (see here) would be virtually impossible to apply, making him not liable.
Can my bank accounts which are in my name only be taken as part of a judgement?
Since your husband is not liable, then not directly, no.
HOWEVER, if she does get a judgment against her, and she is an owner/authorized user of a bank account with you or him, then whatever account she shares may be liable to be levied for the judgment. As such, it may be a good idea to not have her be on any of said accounts, if you feel she may be liable for a judgment down the road (no pun intended).
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.