How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9907
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have filed and turned off my cell phones and changed plans. my soon to be ex

Customer Question

I have filed for divorce and turned off my cell phones and changed plans. my soon to be ex had them turned back on in my name without my permission. he once held POA but that has been revoked and assigned to my sons.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted.
A few more minutes please as I am researching the available options.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
If the purchases are made without one's consent, that is fraud, and a police report can be filed for documentation purposes. If there is a pending divorce, most law enforcement will not get involved and will direct the victim to seek retribution in the family law court forum.
The judge has discretion to take into account unauthorized transactions, so when dividing property, they can offset the amount wrongfully converted so that the innocent spouse does not bear the financial cost of such expenditures.
The innocent spouse can also request attorney fees and costs incurred in requesting/enforcing such an order.
As a preventative, all third parties can be notified which users are and are not authorized; if the account is flagged and a new password ***** ***** up that can prevent unauthorized access.
Also, one can contact the credit bureaus as if one's credit report file is flagged as potential identity theft, creditors will take more care in extending credit.
An identity theft report can be filed with the local authorities and the FTC:
Form is located here:
The affidavit can also be attached to the motion requesting the offset for any unauthorized charges.
Courts have long recognized that spouses have a fiduciary duty to one another, up until the divorce is final. As such, the court does have discretion to award any monetary damages suffered as a result of the breach of fiduciary duty to the innocent spouse.
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.

Here is a link to help locate an attorney: and
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.

Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!

Related Family Law Questions