How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11806
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and daughter in law are raising their granddaughter

Customer Question

My son and daughter in law are raising their granddaughter (Sienna). The child's mother is receiving the child support from the court and is withholding it for her own personal reasons. She has asked my son and daughter in law to take the child and raise her because she cannot afford to provide for her at this time. The child has been living with my son and daughter in law for nearly a year now and has not received any benefit from the child support being paid by her father thru the court.
Any direction you can give us on behalf of this baby will be greatly appreciated. She is 7 years old now. This is the second time this girl has asked my son to take the child so all told, she has lived with them nearly 4 of her 7 years.
Thank you,
XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX (Great grandmother to Sienna) ***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Please clarify for me
1- The grandparents have no court order for custody or guardianship?
2 - The mother just handed the child over to them?
3 - Does the Mother spend any time with the child, do you know?