Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Mother in jail days father has them does he have to

Customer Question
Mother in jail for 10...
Mother in jail for 10 days father has them does he have to pay mother child support?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/16/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the father has the children for anything less than 30 days, child support is still due as ordered by the court. If the father has the children for more than 30 days, then he cannot just stop child support, he must file a motion with the court and ask the court to issue an order giving him relief from child support or give him future credit for child support for the time he had the children.
Okay thanks
Thank you for your reply.
Based on the mother going to jail, you could also choose to file a motion for change of custody to get physical custody away from her and make you the new physical custodial parent, which would also terminate your support.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of this site and as such get no credit for time spent with customers unless the customer leaves positive feedback. Thank you.