Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

We are grandparents seeking guardianship of our grandchildren

Customer Question

we are grandparents seeking guardianship of our grandchildren in Texas but we have been told that we must apply to be foster parents is that true?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
No, I don't find anything that requires a grandparent to be a foster parent prior to being able to apply for guardianship. It may be better/easier for the grandparents to be approved as foster parents, and that may be the reason.....but there's no authority I see that requires the grandparent to engage in being a foster parent prior to applying for guardianship.
You should ask the social worker for the law that requires this....I don't think they'll be able to provide you anything.