Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We are grandparents seeking guardianship of our grandchildren…

Customer Question
we are grandparents seeking guardianship...
we are grandparents seeking guardianship of our grandchildren in Texas but we have been told that we must apply to be foster parents is that true?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/16/2015
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Roger, Attorney
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
No, I don't find anything that requires a grandparent to be a foster parent prior to being able to apply for guardianship. It may be better/easier for the grandparents to be approved as foster parents, and that may be the reason.....but there's no authority I see that requires the grandparent to engage in being a foster parent prior to applying for guardianship.
You should ask the social worker for the law that requires this....I don't think they'll be able to provide you anything.