How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ANDREA, Your Own Question
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ANDREA, is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got awarded sole custody of my daughter, asked Judge I wanted

Customer Question

I got awarded sole custody of my daughter, asked Judge I wanted supervised visitations, turned in the resolution letter, stating who I wanted to be supervisor, did not hear anything for 6 weeks, till June 11, 2015. I received a court order stating he will have unsupervised visits for 2 hours a day, thee days a week for 6 weeks. He is a sex offender, which occurred more than 20 years ago, Can I file a motion , since my baby has not seen him in over 9 months, and she is 15 month old. I know this will cause trauma. what can I do. please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to Answer your question and the only thing I ask in return is that you leave a positive rating which will NOT cost you anything, so that JustAnswer gives me credit for assisting you, Fair enough ?
I am truly sorry to hear of the Judge's decision. It shows that the Judge does not have a clue as to the needs of babies. The Judge's Order might very well cause severe trauma to your daughter. I have done very many custody cases, and I have never encountered a Judge who gave so much visitation all at once where a 15 month old baby was involved. And, there was no reason for the Judge not to allow either your brother or your father to supervise the visitation because it would have also provided your daughter with a familiar face which would have minimized the trauma of being left with someone she was unfamiliar with.
Two hours a day, three days a week is drastic for a 15 month old baby who has not seen this man for months.
If I were you, I would immediately file an appeal of the Judge's decision and while you are awaiting for the appeal to be heard, you can ask that the present Order be left in abeyance (not put into effect). Tomorrow morning, go to the Family Court Clerk's Office and ask for the forms he/she has for filing an Appeal of the Order entered by Judge _______ regarding your baby. While waiting for the Appeal date, ask that the present Order be left in abeyance because if it were put into effect, "permanent and irreparable harm" would be caused to your 15 month old baby. Whereas, a delay would not make a big difference to the father.
Please be kind enough to leave a positive rating so that the website will give me credit for assisting you.
Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated,
Kindest Regards,

Related Family Law Questions