Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In NC, can a man get a divorce when the wife won't sign the…

Customer Question
In NC, can a man...
In NC, can a man get a divorce when the wife won't sign the divorce papers?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/15/2015
Family Lawyer: S. Huband, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.
Q) Can a man get a divorce when the wife won't sign the divorce papers?
Yes.
In NC, like all other states, "no-fault" is a ground for divorce. That means if one party wants a divorce, there's really nothing the other party can do to stop that. It simply means we don't get along anymore.
You'd have to file a petition for divorce and go through the court process. It's best to use an attorney if you can. Divorce is not a simple, DIY process. It takes quite a bit of paper pushing, even in the simplest cases.
You'll also have to divide up the marital property and debt. You can do that by agreement or you can have the judge decide who gets what. Generally an agreement is better since everyone knows what they're getting, and you don't have some stranger (a judge) who doesn't know either of you making decisions both of you will have to live with the rest of your lives.
I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can, although I may not be online at the moment you respond.
Otherwise, I hope you will rate my answer positively as that is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work, and doing so will NOT cost you an additional fee.
Best wishes to you, Customer
Hello again,
Did you need clarification for any of my answers above? If so, please ask. If not, please let me know what else, if anything, I need to do to earn a positive rating from you.
Thanks and best wishes, Customer