How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a pension from which monthly support payments are taken

Customer Question

I have a pension from which monthly support payments are taken out. I was never informed verbally or in writing that I could not use money in that pension to support myself for living expenses, etc. In Delaware County PA is this the law or do they have to provide you something in writing or freeze your pension?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will be happy to assist you.
To answer directly, if a judgment exists, they can simply go ahead and freeze your account. As far as restrictions on the pension funds, such restrictions had to have been communicated by the plan administrator of the pension--for example if you receive a police union pension, the police union plan administrator would have had to inform you and show you of the limitations of use, but it won't be something to which the state is really responsible unless it is the state that is providing you the pension itself.
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so if not judgement exists I am okay if I withdrew money?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
That is correct, any money that you receive as your pension is can do with it as you see fit. But a monthly support payment, if it is for past arrears, is a judgment, and you would need to maintain enough money in your account to cover those payments.
Dimitry, Esq.

Related Family Law Questions