How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 38173
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What rights do we have in regards ***** ***** We used

Customer Question

What rights do we have in regards ***** ***** We used to keep our grandchildren one or two days during the week and sometimes on weekends. Now my daughter and her spouse are separated. He has the children most of the times due to being on works man comp. She works varies days throughout the week and sometimes on the weekends. She moved in with us. So when she has the children; and has to go back to work. They have to go back to him. Do we get rights for visitation. They love it at our house. We live in New Mexico
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
In New Mexico, grandparents may petition the court for visitation during or following a legal separation of the parents as long as the visitation doesn't conflict with the child's education or other custody arrangements. The court also takes into consideration any pre-existing relationship with the children and what is in "the children's best interests".
So you could file a petition for visitation in the local family court where you are living if the mother is living with you and no other court already has an order in place. If there is already an existing order in place, you would have to file in that court.
You would need to contact a local family law attorney to assist with filing the petition.