Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Getting a divorce in montana. Does my wife have any rights…

Customer Question
Getting a divorce in montana...
Getting a divorce in montana. Does my wife have any rights to possible inheritance in the future.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/14/2015
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
None. Inheritance is deemed SEPARATE property, and as such, is NOT subject to division in a divorce. In re Marriage of Luisi, 756 P. 2d 456 - Mont: Supreme Court 1988 (general discussion). This is assuming of course the separate property/assets can be indeed clearly traced as an inheritance.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.