FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

If I just found out I have a 38 year old daughter whose mother

Customer Question

If I just found out I have a 38 year old daughter whose mother placed another guy on birth certificate and never made me aware of this child am I responsible for back years of child support to the child?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. Would you mind sharing with me what State you reside in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tennessee

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tennessee and the child (38 years ) was born and resides in virginia

Thank you. No, you would not be responsible. Determination of paternity in Tennessee must begin within 3 years after the child turns 18. Moreover, the mother never made you aware and placed another mans name on the birth certificate and has made no good faith effort to try and contact you until now. As such, neither she or the child could come after you for child support.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes....what if I pass away would this child be entitled to the same as my children born in my marriage? Also am I legally obligated to this child in any way and If I have parturnity test does that change anything obligation wise?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yessssssssss

How did this women find you? Why do you believe she will seek to establish you as her father? Did the other man on her birth certificate raise her as his own?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes she carries his name and she contacted my brother through facebook and then contacted me by phone and told me I was her father and now she would like to have a dna test

Thank you. You are under no legal obligation at this time to submit to any paternity test. The allegation alone is not enough. If you do not consent she would need to proceed through the court and file a petition and present evidence to show/allege a basis to believe you are the father, other then someone told her. Moreover, this other man raised her and took care of her and she carries his name.