How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At the moment my daughter is in jail. My grandaughter is staying

Customer Question

at the moment my daughter is in jail. My grandaughter is staying with her father's family cause they live near by. I have a custody paper signed by her if something happens to her and or she goes to jail I get custody. Now her parents want to put a restraining order on her so she never sees on child. what can I do. I cannot not afford a lawyer--it is a outrageous price they want.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have a signed document stating you have custody if she goes to jail, then you can use that to get custody from the father's family. Have you been to your local legal aid office to assist you in filing the petition for custody if you cannot afford a local attorney?
You cannot represent your daughter in her custody rights, but you can certainly represent yourself if you cannot get legal aid to assist or a pro bono attorney from your state bar. You would do that by fling a petition for enforcement of custody order in the local court and attaching the custody document you have.

Related Family Law Questions