Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

At the moment my daughter is in jail. My grandaughter is staying…

Customer Question
at the moment my daughter...
at the moment my daughter is in jail. My grandaughter is staying with her father's family cause they live near by. I have a custody paper signed by her if something happens to her and or she goes to jail I get custody. Now her parents want to put a restraining order on her so she never sees on child. what can I do. I cannot not afford a lawyer--it is a outrageous price they want.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/14/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have a signed document stating you have custody if she goes to jail, then you can use that to get custody from the father's family. Have you been to your local legal aid office to assist you in filing the petition for custody if you cannot afford a local attorney?
You cannot represent your daughter in her custody rights, but you can certainly represent yourself if you cannot get legal aid to assist or a pro bono attorney from your state bar. You would do that by fling a petition for enforcement of custody order in the local court and attaching the custody document you have.