How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117371
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe twenty thousand in back child support in New York. I

Customer Question

I owe twenty thousand in back child support in New York. I am not employed and my son is now 21. I can not get a job because I do not have a license. I would like to know if there is a way to fix this. I can not pay. All of the monies at once. I want a job to pay this off.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid there is no good or easy answer to this one. Unfortunately, you have to pay, which I believe you know. Your only chance is going to the court to ask for them to reduce or waive some of the arrears or issue an order to DMV to reinstate your license based on setting up a payment schedule, but typically they would require a good faith payment of at least 25% of what is due. Your only real chance though is taking this back to court and prove significant financial hardship and asking the court to reinstate your license so you can pay the arrears and set up a payment schedule you will be able to keep paying on and not default on.

Related Family Law Questions