How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11798
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please help me settle the child support arrears that I owe

Customer Question

Please help me settle the child support arrears that I owe to ***** ***** in Washington State. Our son has lived with me and my spouse for the last 3 years. He is attending college at Hinds Community College in Raymond, MS and will be attending college at Mississippi State University in August of 2015. He applied for financial aid and has been approved for a loan of 6,500 which is 13,00 short of the funds he needs for school. I was approved for a parent plus loan on his behalf for the remaining funds needed for his first year, my husband had to cosign due to my chapter 7 bankruptcy filed 3 years ago after I was involved in a car accident without car insurance. I have consistently paid child support for many years and no longer owe current support to Robert ***** ***** and have paid down my arrears from 26,000 to 13,000. My husband has suffered a broken foot and is unable to work overtime and our income has been significantly reduced further complicating our finances. I have two children Robert ***** ***** and Lauren Newton Gray who are now 21 and 19 years of age. Their father, Robert ***** *****, has severely damaged our relationship over the years. He and his wife Kory Gray emancipated my son 3 years ago in the state of Washington, and my husband and I spent $3,000 in travel expenses to go get him and bring him home with us so he could attend college. My son was emancipated in a manner that caused considerable hardship for him for no apparent reason. My daughter attends college at Western Washington University and is totally supported by her father. My son receives no support from his father and has been denied cooperation from his father on medical insurance due to his choosing to have a relationship with me. His father is a retired Non Commisioned Officer with the United States Air Force and has considerable financial resources that I do not have. The situation has been unfair and abusive to me and our children for many years. I have been paying my debt, although misrepresented, as I can not and have not been able to afford legal representation in the State of Washington, and Mississippi (where I live) has no jurisdiction over my child support arrears. I have not seen my daughter in several years, and continue to participate in a relationship with her to the best of my ability via phone calls. I have not spent a Christmas, Mothers Day, Birthday, or other holiday with my daughter since she was 3 years old. Until 3 years ago, I was not able to participate in Christmas, Mothers Day, Birthdays , or any other holiday or event with my son either since the year of 2001. Their father and their stepmother degrades me to our children and have done so for many years. The child support arrears prevents me from moving forward financially as my credit has continually suffered since 1999. I am 44 years old and I do not own a home, I little financial resources to support my son in his college but give more than I have and will continue to do so for him and my daughter. Their father owns his own home valued at $500,000.00 and is retired. I will be working until the day I die, and will never financially recover from the devastation caused by Robert ***** *****'s continued abusive financial and emotional assault on me through the use and abuse of the child support system, the military, and our children. My child support case number *****(###) ###-####in Pierce County, Washington State. My income was imputed years ago based on false statements made by ***** *****. I have requested relief before and believe that I was denied based solely on ***** *****'s false representation of me and my character. Please help me and God Bless you for taking the time to read this message.
Jennifer L Hammond
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry, but State law forbids us from representing anyone from this site. You do need a local attorney to file a motion to waive or reduce arrears and convince the court that these arrears create a significant financial hardship and to find a local attorney, you need to contact the WA Bar and ask for the pro bono attorneys in your area to assist or try to go through legal aid for assistance or the local law school law clinic, since you are disabled and should be able to derive assistance from them.