How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is***** husband filed but

Customer Question

hello My name is***** husband filed for divorce but he cheated and I cannot afford a lawyer what can I do?? we have no property together and He was the primary earner in the household. I asked for support for 2 years and I would like half of his 401k
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Adraine,

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Take a look at this site to see what organizations are available in your area that may be able to provide low-cost or pro-bono services:
Many law schools now have legal clinics where students provide representation under the supervision of an experienced, license attorney. They do this to get the experience. You may want to call any local law schools to ask if they have a family law clinic that can assist you.
Public policy says that, in a divorce, spouses deserve to be on equal footing. That means, if you cannot afford a lawyer, you can file a motion asking the judge to order your husband to pay your legal fees. Usually, your lawyer will file this motion for you after you've retained them. That's something to bring up with any lawyer you meet with.
You also have a right to represent yourself. You are legally entitled to half of all money contributed into any retirement accounts during the marriage. You can make that request if you choose to represent yourself. You're also allowed to ask for support. If this is a long-term marriage, you can usually get support for about half the duration of the marriage. If your husband makes significantly more than you do, and you were married for at least 10 years, there's good chance you'll get the two years of support you're asking for.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.